Post by Stacey Walker. Stacey mostly works behind the scenes for Walker Woodworking, managing day to day operations, and marketing. Stacey has helped many clients create their dream space.
Wine Room Desing Essentials
A good glass of wine is a great way to end the evening, but the last thing you want to do is stop by the store on your way home just to get a bottle. Having your own wine room at home is the obvious solution. They are more than just a practical way to store your wine collection, but they can become a place of relaxation and entertainment. Wine rooms are becoming a popular feature in many homes which means they can add value to your home if you choose to sell. When designing a wine room there are a few things to keep in mind that will ensure your beverage is kept at the perfect temperature and will impress your family and friends.
Wine room with glass doors
This is a popular option when displaying your wine collection as it adds elegance to the room but also serves a functional purpose. It allows you to easily see your collection and make a selection while keeping it at the correct temperature. Glass is a material that works well with multiple design styles and materials such as wood and metal meaning it can be made to shine with whatever selections you choose to pair it with.
Wine room ventilation
Temperature is vital in storing wine which is why proper consideration needs to be given to ventilation. Humidity must always be set between 50 and 70 percent ensuring that the corks remain as they need to which of course will preserve the wine. The temperature should hold around 55 degrees meaning that your location needs to be in a cooler area of the home such as the basement or room with the least amount of exposure to the sun. Under the stairs can still be a good location as well since it tends to be in a shaded part of the home. It is always a good idea to install a cooling unit to help with humidity and temperature or including a wine cooler in the design. For more details on particular temperatures for different types of wine, click here.
Wine room light fixtures
Lighting is important especially when your wine room is in the basement or room with little light. They can set the perfect mood throughout the room, adding dimmers can be an effective way to control how much light is dispersed at different times of the day or the type of party being hosted. Remember to factor in the amount of heat certain light bulbs can put out, you can choose to go with ones that produce less heat. LED strips are a great way to increase the light and highlight certain design features such as racks and panels. Having the right light can make a difference in your overall design.
Wine room racks
Sometimes you have certain wine bottles that you are particularly proud of or just want to show off, both of which are understandable. A wine rack is a perfect way to accomplish this goal and is also a convenient way to have easy access to your favorite bottle. Don’t forget to add an LED light strip for emphasis.
Wine room accessories
While these items are not necessary, sometimes having the right accessories can make a difference in the presentation and preservation of your enjoyable beverage. Here are a few things you might want to include in your wine room design.
- Seating: if you are going to enjoy a glass of wine, it is best to have a seat where you can relax as you sip. An oversized chair or even a small couch can be a great addition.
- Counterspace: having a place to set out a few bottles and easily pour a few drinks is an essential space for a wine room.
- Storage: you can’t drink wine without a glass and that means you need a place to store them. Don’t forget to add this to your design.
A wine room is the perfect place to host a small party with friends so make sure you have everything you need to have a good time.
Wine room benefits.
There are several benefits to having a wine room in your home and not just an increase in the asking price.
- Convenience: of course this ranks at the top of the list when it comes to having your own wine room. No quick stops at the store to grab a bottle before a party or just to have a glass before bed.
- Increased value: adding a wine room to your home increases the value if you choose to sell later.
- Organization: most will say that organization is helpful to any space and this is no less true in a wine room. No more wondering where a certain brand or year is anymore because each will have its own designated spot.
- Enjoyment: having a place to sit and relax with your favorite wine is a pleasure for any homeowner.
Having a wine room where you can show off your favorite wines and impress your friends is an amazing feeling.
Raise your glass
Looking to add a wine room to your home? Have questions about creating the perfect layout? Give us a call and schedule a design appointment with one of our experienced designers. We believe in personalizing your home and helping you make it an oasis for your family and every guest. Contact us today.