Things have changed in the design world, we are not required to follow a set plan or trend but free to create a space that is as unique as us. It’s important to understand your style and what options you want to include in your design before beginning your bathroom renovation so you will know what you are getting and how much it will cost. Here are some options you may want to think about when planning your bathroom renovation.
- Cabinets for towels. A place to store extra towels is a must and placement is important. Instead of having a stack of towels here and another one there, it is nice to have them all in one convenient spot.
- Types of doors. In today’s designs, there is no hard and fast rule about doors, they can be as unique as you.
- Barn doors. These bathroom doors bring a nice rustic vibe to the space.
- Sliding doors. This option gives flexibility and uses space effectively.
- Glass doors. These are an option for bathroom cabinets as well as shower doors that add a touch of elegance to the space. There are multiple options for glass doors.
- Bathroom cabinets with mirror and lights? Do you want a mirror built into the cabinet or hanging directly over the sink? Is the standard bathroom light enough or do you want a little extra by using LED lighting? We have had some clients who placed this type of lighting inside their closet cabinets, click to see.
- Extra shelving. Storage is important and shelves are a great way to utilize vertical space to the max.
- Type of wood – stained or painted? While stained is a natural way to bring out the beauty of the wood grain some prefer painting their bathroom cabinets, with white being among the popular choices. It is good to decide this ahead of time in case a color or stain needs to be specially ordered. See an example of a white bathroom here.
- Design style. Understanding your personal style is an important piece in the process because it controls the overall feel of the project. Browse Pinterest for ideas or visit some design portfolios for inspiration.
- Floating or standard. Before you can pick your bathroom cabinets you need to know what will work best for you and reflect your personality. Are you looking for the more traditional style or more contemporary? Standard bathroom cabinets extend to the floor while floating cabinets leave room underneath for unique storage ideas such as baskets or rustic wooden crates.
Do your homework.
A bathroom renovation may seem daunting but when the right amount of planning and preparation takes place it can ensure a renovation with few bumps. Take the time to look at inspirational photos, pinterest boards, design styles and options before you start shopping. Knowing what you want is halfway to getting what you want. Happy renovation!