Post by Stacey Walker. Stacey mostly works behind the scenes for Walker Woodworking, managing day to day operations, and marketing. Stacey has helped many clients create their dream space.
What is a Natural Style?
Fresh, comfortable, and clean. These words describe a design style that went from being in the top ten to the top three in the past year. As more people are making home their office, school room, gym, and more, the home had to adapt so it could accommodate these needs. Design is meant to tell your story, to meet your lifestyle needs, and keep you comfortable which is not always easy to blend together. Nature offers the perfect solution to this situation and more and more designers are looking to it for inspiration. Let’s talk about organic design style and how you can use it to get the balance you need in the home.
What is organic design style
This style was born and coined here in the US by architect Frank Lloyd Wright, his goal was to blend the design elements of the home with its surroundings. It places prominence on the native connection between us and nature. A pleasant environment is created by blending the organic elements already in nature into the design of the home interior. A neutral color palette such as whites, grays, and browns paired with materials such as glass, metal, and wood make up the core elements used when planning an organic design style. It is a style that draws on nature to create a space that is functional while remaining comfortable. Learn a little more here.
How to incorporate organic design style
The best place to begin when looking to mimic nature in the home is to include some of her best elements, light, space, and matter. Here are a few suggestions for your home:
- Light is a fundamental part of nature and influences the mood. Large windows in the kitchen and bathroom let in the sun and allow you to enjoy nature’s art at the same time. It can also give the illusion that the place is larger and more open as well. Natural light also has multiple health benefits that you can read about here.
- Space is the opposite of cramped, when you go for a hike or walk it feels good because of the sense of freedom you experience. Open floor plans are a great way to help you feel connected with family and friends but still have distinct areas in the home. When planning your renovation think about the layout and flow of each area. Staying in touch with members of your household helps to give a sense of togetherness.
- Material: this is nature’s speciality and comes in a variety of options. From natural fabric choices like linen, to organic materials such as glass, granite, and wood, nature has it all. Bringing in some of these options into your design can help create an inviting space that makes everyone feel at home.
Home is not just a place with four walls, it is meant to provide comfort, give rest, aid our soul in unwinding. Nature has the power to address all of that and more, when we harness it and bring it into the design. You will end up with a place just right for your style.
Some additional hints
There are many ways to add nature into your home, to get that wonderful vibe that everyone can enjoy. Here are a few other things you can do to build up your homes style and even influence the health and well being of your family.
- Color: muted tones like pale yellows and light grays, earthy combinations like brown, blue, and creme, or refreshing shades like spring green and lavender can set a healing or reinvigorate your home. Nature’s color palette has an endless supply of inspiration and can be included in multiple ways such as pillows, paint, or artwork.
- Plants: succulents, greenery, flowers, and herbs are all equally a wonderful way to bring the outdoors in and have multiple benefits for the home including cleaning the air and feeding the soul with its beauty, not to mention pops of color.
- Texture: this element adds visual interest to a space and can make a statement or focal point.
Look to nature to receive the inspiration you are looking for and establish it in your own space.
Let’s get started
Making a house a home is our speciality, our goal is to give you a design that meets your exact needs and gives you a sense of belonging in your own space.. We stay up to date on all the latest trends and innovations so we can provide you with the best service. Let us help you create a home that is multifunctional and adaptable to your lifestyle. Connect with us to get started.