Post by Stacey Walker. Stacey mostly works behind the scenes for Walker Woodworking, managing day to day operations, and marketing. Stacey has helped many clients create their dream space.
Finishing your Renovation on Budget
Budget. This is probably one of the most talked about things during an initial design meeting and we understand because it is important. You didn’t just throw out a number because it sounded good, you picked after careful consideration of your finances. This is why we take the time to go over all of your options to ensure that your budget stays on target. We want to discuss some helpful tips that will help you finish your renovation on budget.
While this may seem obvious it can be easy to get caught up in the excitement of a renovation and rush head first into the project.
- Know where you are going: this is one of the first things you will want to do when considering a renovation, to know what the end goal is. Think about your space and the layout you want to have, is it possible within the square footage you already have? Is it possible to reconfigure or add on? How much would it cost to relocate something like plumbing or electrical? By knowing where you want to go it will be easier to make plans to get there.
- Ask questions: the planning stage is the best time to ask questions. What will this space be used for? How many will use it at one time? Does it need to be multifunctional? Make sure to sit down and write a list of questions before going to your design meeting so that you will be prepared.
- Do your research: it is always wise to look around at what others have done and how it was done. Check out some construction websites or look around at similar renovations that you want done to your home. By doing this you can get a good feel for what will be involved for your own renovation.
Moving forward without proper planning is like going on a trip without knowing where you are headed and will leave you feeling frustrated. When you take the time to do some planning it will save you time and money later ensuring you have a renovation you will enjoy. Learn more about our project planning process here.
Stick with the Plan
We know that it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of transforming your space especially when it comes to the selection process, but staying with the plan is key to the success of your project. Here are some ways to ensure you stay on track.
- Selection: only look at items within your price range. For example, when you determine the amount you can spend on hardware do a search for pieces within that price range. This works well for countertops, flooring, and backsplash.
- Extras: sometimes during a renovation you may think that you need to upgrade your backsplash to that one that is custom made or the countertop with the unique material. While these options are amazing they also come with a price tag that can jeopardize your budget. When possible, try to avoid these upgrades if it is not in the budget.
- Keep the goal in mind: remember what you are getting, a brand new space that you and your family will enjoy. Sometimes the end goals can get lost in the journey but we promise sticking to your plan will be worth it so hang in there.
A good plan is only as good as following through which is one of the reasons you have us. We promise that your plan is our guide, it will help us make sure we provide you with exactly what you need.
Factor in a surprise
It’s no surprise that the unexpected can happen even with a well planned renovation, it seems that life enjoys keeping us on our toes. That’s why it is important to include a cushion or contingency into your budget. Most agree that it should be anywhere between 5% to 10% of your overall budget, this means that you can still be prepared for the unexpected and minimize any renovation disturbances. Read what Dave Ramsey has to say about a renovation budget.
A renovation is an exciting time, you are getting ready to give your home a beautiful upgrade but you want to make sure it is within budget. By choosing to work with us you are not only getting an amazing product but all of our experience as well. With over 1500 projects under our belt we can assure you that your home is in the best of hands. We take your budget seriously and will make sure you finish strong. Give us a call today to set up your design appointment, let’s get started planning your project.