Post by Stacey Walker. Stacey mostly works behind the scenes for Walker Woodworking, managing day to day operations, and marketing. Stacey has helped many clients create their dream space.
Make it Modern
While traditional design is a popular choice it is only one of many and not for everyone. Do you prefer simple lines, flat surfaces, and minimal style? Then a modern design might be perfect for you. This option is often confused with the concept of updating a kitchen with new time saving devices and a design that lacks warmth but in actuality that is not at all true. The purpose of the modern style is to create a space that is functional, clean but leaving room for the owner to express their own personality. It has a broad range of options that work well within this style including materials and colors. By removing the traditional design elements associated with other styles such as traditional and farmhouse, modern allows the homeowner an opportunity to incorporate things that speak to them and break with the standard. Let’s explore more of the modern design style and discover if it is for you.
What is modern style?
The name can lead you to believe that it is a recent design style that actually dates back to World War I but would really take off in the 1950s when things such as laminates and linoleum spiked in popularity. Mass cabinet manufacturing allowed more pieces to be created that had a more unified look and allowed the homeowner to enjoy a design that was cohesive. Painted cabinets were also introduced in the 1920s giving people an option other than natural wood tones. Metal cabinets made an appearance as well and would be a popular option all the way into the 1950s. The modern style also led the way to the open floor concept, a layout that continues today. This design continues to evolve each decade, incorporating and adapting to the changing needs of homeowners. Learn a few more details about the modern design style here.
Characteristics of the modern style
So what makes a modern kitchen modern? It is more about certain elements than the latest device or trend. There a several things that characterize this option including:
- Color: this is a fun element to discuss, bold, bright, calm, or neutral. There are multiple choices available. Color in the modern style can run almost any direction. The use of bold colors was introduced during the 1940s and 50s. Contrast or unified, either is acceptable in this design.
- Minimal: clean lines and little to no hardware are part of this style. Over the top decoration or intricate details are not present but are replaced by simplicity as the defining point.
- Light: fixtures with unique shapes and a blending of materials are a perfect reflection of the modern style as is the use of natural light. Sometimes including reflective materials like glass and stainless steel can bring even more light to the space.
- Open concept: opening up the area into the whole home is a great way to keep the family together and continues to be a key element to the modern style.
- Materials: blending and mixing different materials such as wood, glass, and metal are all part of the modern look. Glass panel doors blend beautifully with wood frames. Metal light fixtures with bits of wood mixed into it. Granite countertops and glass backsplash. All a great way to break with traditional combinations but still create a stunning project.
- Functionality: storage and convenience play an important role in this style choice. Organized and streamlined spaces make for smooth dinner prep and easy morning routines.
- Design: frameless is usually the cabinet design choice along with a smooth, flat door profile. Excessive details are not present in this style. This lends more to an elegant yet simple space.
Modern is a step away from traditional and allows the homeowner to create a space that has flexible elements making it easy to express themselves.
Benefits of a modern style
Each style comes with benefits that are unique to them. Modern brings a sense of calm through the simplicity of its design. It also highlights the natural beauty of the elements used such as stone, metal, and wood. This is also a great feature for those who lean more toward an eco-friendly style. Because the modern style encourages a blending of materials you can incorporate things such as bamboo, reclaimed wood, and natural stone tile. Connection is becoming more and more important in home design which fits well with the modern style as it thrives in an open floor plan. The simple style also makes it easy to keep clean and germ free. As minimal is the object of this design it means that other things will be highlighted such as a countertop, color scheme or work of art. To choose the modern style means you can highlight more than just your cabinets, you can focus on what matters.
Make it modern
Your home is an expression of you, it is meant to go from a house to home through the use of design and that means selecting a style that reflects you. The modern style is a beautiful option, a blending of multiple elements to create a unified space that is functional and perfect for your family. Our design team is experienced and ready to help you achieve the look you desire. We take time to get to know you and listen to the little things because they matter. Contact us today and let’s get started creating the perfect, modern space for you.